Sunday, September 28, 2008

Do the Scriptures Reign Paramount?

I've said before that there are many reasons to home school. For us, to begin with, it was a matter of training their character. How can we do that if they are under someone else's influence all day? Family unity was a close second. I grew up very close in age to my siblings, but never really knew them as friends for life, which is what they are. Somewhere down the list is academics. Mr Man and I were not at all prepared for the rigors of college life coming from the public schools. But that can be overcome, really. There was actually a lot of wasted time.

The most important area should be our children's spiritual walk. We can't force them to know Christ, that's the Holy Spirit's job. But Deuteronomy 6:5-9 talks about teaching or impressing upon our children 'diligently'all the things God has commanded. When we sit at home, walk along the road, when we lie down and when we get up. That pretty much covers our day doesn't it?

Teaching them what God commands doesn't happen in a classroom. Probably not even in some of the Christian classrooms. But 'doing life' together brings the situations to light where we can model and talk about what God loves and expects. When they see us care for others, speak words of kindness, work through disputes, take care of our home, just to name a few, they are seeing the work of God in and through us. It is a high calling to be sure. And I fail daily. There but for the grace of God go I. He is constantly molding and making me into the woman He wants me to be. As I allow Him to do this, my children see that too. They see the real me, not the one that gets ready with a smile and cookies for them to come home from school. (no offense, mom. I appreciated the cookies! and the smiles) But they see me through the whole day. The good, the bad and the ugly.

So I am challenged to put His Holy Word at the forefront. The forehead isn't such a bad idea. Then we'd see it and remember God's promises.


"I am much afraid that schools will prove to be the great gates of hell unless they diligently labor in explaining the holy scriptures, engraving them in the hearts of youth. I advise no one to place his child where the scriptures do not reign paramount."
Martin Luther

No comments: